Wednesday, April 26, 2023

 (Published in the May/June, 2023 issue of Cathexis Northwest Press)

The God of Gaps

 
At the base
of tall redwoods
I stop thinking 
about thinking.

I wait in the space
between tall words.

It’s October and the late 
afternoon light
rests on its side
yet wavers from the wind.

The wind’s too much
for words I have remembered or found.
The only song now
is up in the crown.

There’s room
between the song I want to hear
and what keeps singing up there.
 
There’s a distance
between the right word
and me. 

Sunlight diagonals
fall through tall pillars of spongy bark, 
from canopy to duff,
to mark the link of shadow and light.
The trees invent the light.
They invite us to parse it.
We learn from what is sparse.

There is a Japanese word
for light like this
in the forest.
I can’t remember it.
I can’t remember enough.
Proper nouns, then nouns… in that order
words slow.
There is darkness between what I knew
and know.

The light in the forest
fills in its name,
komorebi.
Does this not sound like song?
Did it ever not sound like you
or me?

Nature needs to abhor a vacuum.
Without questions, words come
to the dark room between us.

The autumn wind
in this redwood forest can rain down
widowmakers in the gaps
or fill silence
with  a rush of singing
or stain a page
with exactly the right word
as long as this light lasts

and joins us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

(Three poems with an interview by the publisher Jen Knox  published in February, 2024 issue of  Unleash Lit )  Escape from Belle Isle in t...